Vikram Vij (@EatDrinkVij) is the Chef and Co-owner of four restaurants, Vij’s Restaurant, Rangoli, My Shanti, Vij’s Sutra and a food product line called Vij’s at Home. He is the co-author of Vij’s: Elegant & Inspired Indian Cuisine, Vij’s at Home: Relax, Honey and Vij’s Indian: Our Stories, Spices and Cherished Recipes. As a television personality he has appeared on CBC’s Dragon’s Den’s 9th season and as a judge and guest of honour on various Food Network Canada series. As well, Vikram has been featured on Anthony Bourdain’s No Reservations, A Day in the Life of Vij’s, from Omni TV, At the Table With, from Food Network Canada, along with many others.
I had the privilege to sit down with Vikram Vij after attending his Marsala class at the Jasper Park Lodge’s Christmas in November event. During the interview we will discuss the technique Chef Vij’s taught us during class and we go a little bit deeper into his Indian cuisine. There is a synopsises of the ingredients and technique at the end of the interview and I encourage you to try it out, because when you get it right, you are in store for an amazing curry.
We also discuss:
· Leaving India on the last train when 19 years old
· A reflection of the journey. What and such a long journey it has been
· The Goulash soup with Indian spices that led Vikram to Canada and the Banff Springs Hotel
· His father’s perseverance, support and lessons
· Philosophy on seasoning when working with spices
· Regional cooking
· Eating with your hands
· Priorities and focus
· Oneness, love and respect